Forgot your password?
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
  • default color
  • green color
  • red color

MabuhayRadio

Saturday
Jun 25th
Home Sections MiscellaNEWS Mancao's Fil-Am Lawyer Says Senator Lacson Is Not Yet Off the Hook
Mancao's Fil-Am Lawyer Says Senator Lacson Is Not Yet Off the Hook PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 1
PoorBest 
Sections - MiscellaNEWS
Written by Joseph G. Lariosa   
Friday, 04 February 2011 14:38

NOT TOO FAST

LACSON IS NOT YET OFF THE HOOK, SAYS MANCAO’S U.S.-BASED LAWYER

 

By JOSEPH G. LARIOSA

(© 2011 Journal Group Link International)

 

C HICAGO (jGLi) – It will still be premature for fugitive Sen. Panfilo “Ping” Lacson to come out and claim he is now beyond the reach of the law.

 

This was the warning issued Thursday, Feb. 3, by the Virginia-based lawyer of former police officer Cezar O. Mancao, Arnedo S. Valera, who expressed disappointment over the recent reversal of the Court of Appeals decision calling for the arrest and trial of the fugitive senator on his alleged involvement in the murders of public relations practitioner Bubby Dacer and his driver Emmanuel Corbito in 2000.

 

Valera told media in the US and the Philippines, that his client former police chief Cesar Mancao, who was made state witness in the case during the time of President Gloria Arroyo, now fears for his life and his family's safety.

 

“It is like you are suddenly put in limbo. And I am sad for the families of Dacer and Corbito, who until now, are awaiting for justice to be meted,” Valera said.

 

In December 2010, the CA denied the injunction filed by the Lacson, thereby giving power to the Regional Trial Court Branch 18 in Manila to arrest Lacson and put him in trial for the Dacer-Corbito murders. 

 

In a sudden turn of events, however, the CA contradicted itself by saying that Mancao's testimony was weak and inconsistent, thus absolving the case against Lacson early February this year.

 

As if by his own premonition, Valera had told US media after his visit to the Philippines late last year that he has sensed that President Aquino's political allies are working hard to not see Lacson behind bars.

 

Valera said that Mancao's credibility is impeccable and that there are no internal inconsistencies in his testimony.

 

"This is a temporary set back. We do not beg for justice, we have to fight for it," he said.

 

Valera said he will work closely with the DOJ for a Motion for Reconsideration as the judgment is not final and executory.  He added that the DOJ still has the repository power to conduct a reinvestigation.

 

Valera also made a recommendation that DOJ seeks the extradition of Michael Ray Aquino who can likewise shed light into the case.

 

"What happened here is a pre-empting a fair trial and the process to seek truth and justice. What the people are waiting is for the truth to surface in a fair trial, where the innocence or guilt of accused on the merits will be established.  But there should not be a double standard of justice. Madali sa walang lakas at walang kapangyarihan ang makulong, at napakahirap sa isang taong puno ng lakas at malapit sa kapangyarihan. (It is easy for those who have no power and have no clout to be in jail but not difficult for those who have power and near those in power), he explained. (lariosa_jos@sbcglobal.net)




Newer news items:
Older news items:

 
Comments (1)
Dear Ado and Friends:

Our Chicago-based correspondent, Joseph G. Lariosa, wrote a news report about the case of Sen. Ping Lacson, as you may find in this hyperlink:
http://www.mabuhayradio.com/miscellanews/mancaos-fil-am-lawyer-says-senator-lacson-is-not-yet-off-the-hook

Our website is not officially commenting on the status of the case, as we are merely reporting the developments.

FYI.

Bobby M. Reyes
Editor
www.mabuhayradio.com


-----Original Message-----
From: Adolfo Paglinawan < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
To: naffaa_forum < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >; botomo < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >; Fil-am Network < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >; filam-forum < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Cc: mediabcla < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >; perrydiaz < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Thu, Feb 3, 2011 5:34 pm
Subject: Not good for Rodis' credibility


thanks perry for the feed but guess how long rodel rodis will have a diarrhea because of this news that blows his credibility to smithereens.
now the senate can be complete with trillanes, and soon ping lacson, free to attend its its sessions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
CA clears Lacson in Dacer-Corbito case
By Edmer F. Panesa
Manila Bulletin

MANILA, Philippines – The Court of Appeals (CA) Thursday cleared Senator Panfilo Lacson of any involvement in the murder of publicist Salvador “Bubby” Dacer and his driver Emmanuel Corbito in 2000.

The latest CA ruling came as a surprise since the same court had denied last November Lacson’s petition for a temporary restraining order (TRO) against the warrant issued by the trial court.

The denial of Lacson’s request for TRO led to his continued hiding.

In an 80-page decision penned by Associate Justice Ramon M. Bato Jr. and concurred in by Associate Justices Juan Q. Enriquez Jr. and Isaias P. Dicdican, the CA’s Special Sixth Division ordered the dismissal of the two counts of murder filed against Lacson before the Manila City Regional Trial Court (RTC).

It also nullified the warrant of arrest issued by the RTC last year against the senator, who has gone into hiding after being charged in the murders.

Acting on Lacson’s petition for review, the CA reviewed the findings of probable cause by the Department of Justice (DoJ), which the RTC sustained when it ordered his arrest.

“In fine, there being no probable cause to legally justify the filing of two separate information (criminal charge sheets) for murder against petitioner, consistent with his constitutional right to be presumed innocent and in consonance with existing jurisprudence, he should be relieved from the pain and agony of trial,” the CA ruled.

In absolving Lacson, the appellate court declared that his former aide, Cezar Mancao, “is not a credible and trustworthy witness.”

Mancao had tagged Lacson as the brains behind the death of Dacer and Corbito.

But the CA cited “inconsistencies and material contradiction” in Mancao’s testimony.

It also hinted that Mancao may have been “influenced” by “extraneous factors and other persons” when he prepared his February 13, 2009 affidavit implicating Lacson in the double-murder case.

The CA also threw out the allegation of Dacer’s daughters – Carina, Sabina, Amparo and Emily – that Lacson orchestrated the killing because their father opposed his appointment as PNP chief during the Estrada administration.

The allegation of the Dacer sisters “is nothing but an inference or conjecture not supported by substantial evidence on record,” the CA said.

In August, 2009, the Department of Foreign Affairs even canceled his regular and diplomatic passports on grounds that he is a “fugitive from justice” as provided for by the Philippine Passport Act of 1996.

In October of the same year, the Senate leadership decided to cut his salary and budget and dissolved his office in the wake of his continued hiding.

The DoJ also came out with a statement favoring the proposed P2-million reward for Lacson’s arrest.

Add your comment

Your name:
Your email:
Subject:
Comment (you may use HTML tags here):

Quote of the Day

"I think that's how Chicago got started. A bunch of people in New York said, 'Gee, I'm enjoying the crime and the poverty, but it just isn't cold enough. Let's go west.' "--Richard Jeni