Forgot your password?
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
  • default color
  • green color
  • red color

MabuhayRadio

Wednesday
Oct 21st
Home Sections NaFFAAgate A December to Remember for the Filipino-American Community
A December to Remember for the Filipino-American Community PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 2
PoorBest 
Sections - NaFFAAgate
Friday, 30 November 2007 05:23

By Friday next week, Dec. 7, 2007, the Filipino-American community might have by then a “day of infamy” too in the same manner that the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941, was described by then President Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

 

How? The criminal case filed against Ben Menor, a former national executive officer (NEO) of the National Federation of Filipino-American Associations (NaFFAA), would probably have ended next Friday. The trial starts on Monday, Dec. 3, 2007. One count of the criminal indictment is the allegation that city funds for a senior-citizen center that Mr. Menor managed at that time were used to bankroll the NaFFAA national convention in San Jose, California, in August 2002.

To read the earlier reports about the now-dubbed Menorgate portion of the NaFFAAgate, please go to Menor's Criminal Case Goes to Trial on December 3rd and

The Latest Update on the Ben Menor Trial

If and when Mr. Menor is found guilty by the jurors, as the District Attorney of Santa Clara County expects, then the NaFFAA national leadership would no longer be able to use the “presumption of innocence” as a convenient excuse for doing nothing. The NaFFAA NEOs have refused so far to pressure Mr. Menor and his convention co-chair, Rodel Rodis, to produce the financial report for the said August 2002 convention. Critics of the NaFFAA national leadership, including many state chapters, want also the financial statements for the Global Networking Conferences that the NaFFAA sponsored in Manila (2003), Cebu (2004), Chicago (2005), Honolulu (2006) and Sydney (Australia) held last September 2007.

The expected guilty verdict is also being awaited by the City of San Jose in the civil case filed against Mr. Menor for recovery of tens of thousands of dollars in city grants allegedly misappropriated by him. A guilty verdict will make stronger a complaint that the “Citizens Rebelling Against Bogus Spending (CRABS)” and this investigative reporter will file with the California Attorney General for the prosecution of more NaFFAA NEOs for fraud, mail fraud and other criminal activities. Eventually, we hope to persuade the California Attorney General to endorse to the Department of Justice the federal prosecution of some NaFFAA NEOs for violation(s) of the “Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations” (RICO) Act.

Perhaps before January 1, 2008, the well-meaning chairpersons and other officers of the other NaFFAA chapters (excluding of course the chapters in Northern California, Southern California and Southern Nevada) would by then have forced the NEOs involved in the anomalies to resign or at least take a leave of absence. If and when the resignations or leaves of absence would happen next month, then perhaps they would be some of the best Christmas presents that Filipino Americans would receive this Advent Season. # # #

 



Related news items:
Newer news items:
Older news items:

Last Updated on Friday, 30 November 2007 07:04
 

Add your comment

Your name:
Your email:
Subject:
Comment (you may use HTML tags here):

Quote of the Day

"I told him, 'Son, what is it with you. Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, 'Coach, I don't know and I don't care.' "--Frank Layden, Utah Jazz president, on a former player