MabuhayRadio

Home Sections Obituary-Memorial Park Bernard Lehrer, LLB, JD, Writes 30
Bernard Lehrer, LLB, JD, Writes 30 PDF Print E-mail
PoorBest
Sections - Obituary-Memorial Park
Written by Maya Teague
Saturday, 21 March 2009 13:17

It is with profound sadness that we share with this website’s readers the sudden passing of a great friend and unforgettable person, Bernard Lehrer, or "Bernie." He was a lawyer, a writer and an Elvis impersonator – all rolled into one exceptionally-compassionate and brilliant human being.

* Editor’s Notes: Atty. Lehrer contributed the following articles to the www.mabuhayradio.com:

War of Words Over Gun-Control Issue Rages

Overpopulation Is Root Cause of Life's Maladies

Elvis Rants and Writes President Bush About the Terrorists Who Could Not Have Done More Damage

B ernie passed on peacefully Thursday night, March 19, during a coronary procedure at the Community Memorial Hospital in Ventura.

The details on a "Celebration of Life" memorial service for Atty. Lehrer will be announced soon.

The incomparable Bernie is survived by his Filipino-American wife, Ella Ma Lehrer; daughters Stephanie Lehrer, Pamela Trank and Valerie Mendelsohn; sister Fran, son-in-law Leif and six grandchildren.

Perhap’s Winston Churchill's epitaph will apply also to Bernie Lehrer: "I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."

* Editor’s Note: The Filipino-American poet Maya Teague has composed this poem for Bernie Lehrer:

FARE THEE WELL

T onight . . .

It looks like it is time.

My dear Bernie, go placidly to that other place

Where I can not hold your hand or look upon your face.

Go now, for to prolong this

Would only slaughter my spirit

Long embittered by the ale of sorrow.

To remain here would only make agonizing

Your precious few breaths. I desire neither.

Forget me momentarily, as you leap

Into that immense unknown, way beyond this earth

To bask in the grandeur of timelessness and space.

A

nd some day . . .

When all my earthly cares are done

And the seasons have ceased to inspire me,

When the gods unlock the portal of my soul,

I will softly close my eyes, a smile upon my lips,

While you illumine my path and make clear all my dreams

That I may reach your place among the stars

And touch your shining perfection.

There I shall float toward you, dear brother

Perhaps also, it is where we might begin

To chart a new life or life-form, that is more bearable

Than the one we had the misfortune to endure.

R est in absolute serenity, my dearest Bernie . . .

Maya Teague

maya.teague@yahoo.com

Related news items:

Last Updated on Saturday, 21 March 2009 13:59

Comments (9)
1 Saturday, 21 March 2009 13:50
mabuhay
As son of a cousin of Bernie’s, it saddens me that the family has lost some of the glue that connected us. I last saw Bernie more than a decade ago, when I had a rare chance to meet the West Coast branch of the family. In later years, he livened up all of our lives with his spirited opinions and controversy. Whether we agreed or disagreed, he kept us on our toes. We’ll all miss him

Paul Lehrer (New Jersey)
2 Saturday, 21 March 2009 14:04
mabuhay
Dear Maya:

Please extend to the Lehrer Family our condolence and deepest sympathy on the death of Bernie.

Please send us any material about, including favorite photographs of, Bernie, as we will publish a permanent site for him in our Obituary/Memorial Section. He contributed some articles to our website.

Please let us know also of the funeral details, as well as any memorial service planned.

Elvis must now be happy in the Great Beyond, as Bernie has joined him.

With our prayers,

Bobby M. Reyes
Editor
www.mabuhayradio.com
(For and on behalf of the MabuhayRadio's columnists, editors, writers and webmaster)
3 Saturday, 21 March 2009 14:38
Please extend my deepest sympathy to Ella Ma. The loss of Bernie and his witty writing will be sorely missed.

:o) Tony V. Grey
Oxnard, California
4 Sunday, 22 March 2009 04:46
Only a few days ago we exchanged emails, Bernie sending me his Nat King Cole imitation and singing 'Unforgettable,' which I immensely enjoyed. All the more, a total shock for me to hear of his sudden passing. I will miss him very much because we may not always realize that everything we do affects not only our lives, but touches others, too.
5 Sunday, 22 March 2009 05:15
Bernie and I became friends through Rotary where we both discovered our mutual love of horse racing. It doesn't seem posisble that he won't be a phone call or email away anymore. I'll miss his wonderful Youtube videos and his wit and sense of humor. Bernie, you brought joy wherever you went. Condolences to your family - I know they are really hurting right now. Nan
6 Sunday, 22 March 2009 07:38
Bernard was such a nice person and touch everyone with his sense of humor. He always brought joy into our hectic life. His emails were fun to open, bringing a ray of light into these otherwise gloomy times. He will be sadly missed. His passing has left a huge void that is impossible to fill.
Our hearts, love and condolences go out to Ella and family.
7 Sunday, 22 March 2009 12:38
In 1979 I was fresh out of law school looking for a job. I applied for work at Lehrer and Medill, a law partnership that was in the process of dissolving. I was hired to assist in the dissolution of the firm. After the dissolution, I was to continue working for Medill. I was working only a few days when I realized that I would much rather work for Bernie and asked his secretary to tell him I'd rather work for him. She did and Bernie hired me. I worked for Bernie for one year and learned a great deal about personal injury work during that time. Bernie moved on and so did I. As it turned out 5 years later I married Medill (go figure!). Last year, almost 28 years of not hearing from Bernie he sent my son an email and that started our friendship going again. From that time on, we emailed daily. I looked forward to his political and religious (or anti-religious) thoughts and his youtubes. Every time I got an email I show it to my husband, Cary and my son Freddy. Our whole family is in mourning. We will miss him dearly. Our deepest sympathy to his wife and his family.
8 Sunday, 22 March 2009 14:27
mabuhay
Dear Ella,

My heart goes out to you. I am so sorry to hear about Bernie - he was a beautiful person, a loyal husband, a great companion, and a refreshing breath of fresh air and ideas. You were very good together, and you had the perfect partnership. These are my personal observations from when we get to spend a little time together as Kapitbahay contributors and volunteers.

My thoughts and prayers are with Bernie, you and your family.

Angie Lavey

(As e-mailed to the Editor at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it )
9 Monday, 23 March 2009 16:07
Thank you, thank you, Bobby, from all of us who count Bernie as that quintessential soul for all the ages.

He became, for me, the father I had lost, the brother I could jostle with, the friend with a quenchless admiration for all things well-cooked, well-endowed and well-written. And may I add how well-lived his life was, too.

We were his second family. I am just grateful he left us with many YouTube videos - some spectacular, others excruciating - clips to remember him by.

We certainly will keep you informed of the upcoming "Celebration of Life" to take place at the horse-racing grounds in Ventura he so loved.

From his family and hordes of friends, we thank you for the website and the tribute to Bernard Lehrer. It is greatly appreciated, and knowing Bernie, he must be giggling with glee over all this adulation. Thanks a million!

Maya Teague